Wednesday, August 20, 2008

So it begins.

School started on Friday, with much disorganization. Things are certainly different here. Its kind of a fly by the seat of your pants mentality. But, we got through the first day and school really started on Monday. It is going to be a challenging year. The kids are fairly typical middle schoolers. However, there are some definite differences. One strange thing is that most of the kids come to school with absolutely nothing. They go from class to class with no books, no pencil, no backpack, no folder, nothing. I think it isn't so much a money thing as it is habit to expect the school to provide everything for them. I gave them homework and they folded it up and put it in their pocket. I might try to do something about, but the other middle school teachers seem to have just excepted how things are. Its a hard balance between trying to improve things and realizing that it isn't going to be Colorado.

My kids have been giving me a hard time about wearing "nice clothes" and were asking me why I change clothes everyday. Another kid said it was because "thats what gussiks do." (The kids wear jeans and the same sweatshirt everyday.) It is different being the minority.

Ryan is currently packing to go moose hunting. He is going with our neighbor Ulrich (the mayor), Ulrich's son Aaron, and another teacher Matt. I am glad he has the opportunity to go. He has been looking forward to this for a long time. I'm sure it will be an awesome experience for him. However, it might be a lonely weekend.

Keep praying for me as I teach these kids. Today during class I was praying that the Lord would help me learn to love them and to desire to teach them. Also pray for me as I deal with a new way of life. I was missing Target today. :)

3 comments:

Kara said...

We are definately praying for you!! Hey, you might as well embrace the wardrobe thing, if you go their way it will really cut down on laundry ( ;

Sherry said...

Wow. Def. praying for you this week and weeks to come. I'm sure the beginning is tough, seems like you really had no idea what to expect so you just go with it. Hope the weekend goes well for you. I'd like the jeans and sweatshirt thing, but I gotta admit I like to mix it up a bit too.

Matthisa said...

I'm so proud of you, Emily and Ryan. You are definitely in my prayers.
GOD will give you the strength and wisdom.