Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chevak

We have now been in Chevak for five whole days. We were supposed to fly from Anchorage to Bethel and then from Bethel to Chevak on Thursday evening. However, when we got to Bethel, our plane had left for Chevak without us. So, we got a taxi and found a bed and breakfast in Bethel. Bethel is a town of about 7,000 people. They even have restaurants and a Subway (restaurant). We stayed at the Brown Slough, which turned out to be a really nice place.

Friday morning we sat in the airport for almost two hours before we finally made it on to a plane to take us to Chevak. I missed the morning new teacher inservice, but got right to work on my classroom. Apparently the thing up here is for teachers to order as much stuff as they possibly can and cram it all over the classroom. Needless to say, I had quite a bit of organizing to do. I have things in pretty good order, but the room will continue to be a work in progress.

Our apartment is also a work in progress. The teacher before us moved out in May and four men lived in the apartment through the summer. So you can imagine the condition we found it in. After cleaning and unpacking it is also looking much better. We are waiting on the key to our connex so we can store all our boxes. Also, my mom is kind enough to send some slipcovers, which will much improve the couches. It is a new challenge to figure out what to eat with only part of our groceries here. Today we got our pans, which helped the cooking considerably. I am looking forward to the arrival of our coffee pot. (There is a coffee shop here, but I have only seen it open once.)

I am learning that every school has its challenges and this one is no different. It is interesting trying to navigate my way through the new teacher process. Each day I overhear something new that is required of me that I didn't know about. Someday, hopefully soon, I will get to be at one school more than one year so I can feel like I know what is going on!

The people and the teachers here are nice. I am a both excited and nervous to meet my students. School starts on Friday!

7 comments:

Kara said...

I'm glad everything is starting to fall into place. Good luck with all th estuff in your classroom. At least you'll have everything you need (other than space.) Keep the updates coming; it's nice to finally be able to do some reading on your blog! I will be thinking of you on Friday.

Sherry said...

Getting a classroom organized is such a big job by itself, but add a house to it, that's massive. Nice work, I'm sure by the time you're finished it will look better than ever. Good luck with Friday, it's always better when you get to see the faces of your kids. Do you know how many students you will have?

Sherry said...

I think I'd rather have you guys use Max than us. It'd be much more important in your family:). Luke hasn't been totally sold on it anyways-but our choice of names changes daily.

Coe said...

I have decided that teaching is a work in progress. Just when you have it all figured out something changes. Have fun first day.

Janaque said...

Wow! What an adventure!! I'm not a teacher, but I know how much more relaxed I feel once I'm in session with my kids, vs. when I'm meeting them and doing their assessment. Can't wait to see pictures.

Kara said...

How was the first week of school? I was praying for you last Friday. I hope it went well!

Dawn said...

Hi! It was good to find that you have a blog - I came over from Sherry's place. It will be fun to keep up with you guys this way. Come by and visit if you have a chance sometime!