Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Last night around 3:00 am, as I was holding on to Ryan's coat, flying across the tundra, I thought I should probably update my blog. Last night was my first night helping with the Hooper Bay "Late Night" youth center. The church opens the center from 10:00 pm until 2:00 am for teens and young adults to come and hang out. They sell ice cream, milkshakes, popcorn, and pop. Most nights the cook is there and they sell burgers as well, but the kitchen was closed last night. I ran the cash register behind the counter for most of the night. It is so great the the kids have a safe place to be.

The last few weeks have been busy in Chevak. We had a middle school basketball tournament two weeks ago. Somehow I ended up being in charge of running the gate for the weekend. But, the middle school student government made quite a bit of money off of it, so the kids were excited. Then last weekend we had HoopFest, which is a high school basketball tournament. When a tournament happens, the teams (boys and girls teams) show up on Wednesday or Thursday and live in the school for the rest o the weekend. During the tournament the teachers had an inservice. The trainer for the inservice didn't make it in on Thursday because of weather, so we had to work on Saturday as well. So after a long Saturday of work, I chaperoned the high school dance. I have got to learn to say no. :) It was a crazy couple of weeks, but I have a feeling the rest of the year is going to be fairly hectic.

This Friday I leave for technology conference in Anchorage. There are 6 teachers and 2 high school students from Chevak going. I am looking forward to a break, though I wish Ryan could come with me.

Speaking of Ryan, this is our 6th Valentine's Day together. That doesn't even seem possible! Our first Valentine's Day, Ryan took me to Lawry's in Chicago. It was the fanciest restaurant I had ever been to. Neither of us knew quite what to do at the restaurant and we were so nervous on top of it all, but it was a great night. There will be no Lawry's tonight, but I am thankful for my Valentine!

Once again...check Facebook for pictures!

3 comments:

Kara said...

Yay!! I've been checking your blog everyday for the last couple of months waiting for a new post ( ; Sounds like you have been VERY busy. Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day. And by the way... congratulations Uncle Ryan and Aunt Emily!!

Dean and Suzanne said...

Loved your post, Emily. It is really fun to read the details of your lives up there. You have wonderful relationships with the people in Chevak and Hooper Bay - you are a blessing. When we were there we could tell they had all fallen in love with you. We love you too and pray for you continually. You have such a special ministry there.

Sherry said...

what a fun update. we think of you guys a lot! Update more for sure!! Especially with Hawaii coming up:).

I love the "hanging onto Ryan's coat at 3am" hilarious