Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day

I meant to write yesterday, but I never got to it. Things are in full swing here. We are now into our third week of school. Last week didn't really count, however. It was "Sea Week." So we spent three days out on the tundra, walking, fishing, and berry picking. It was a good couple of days getting to know the kids better and interacting with them outside the classroom.

In class things are going pretty well. I am having to adjust to the kids learning styles. They have a hard time synthesizing and analyzing anything on their own. It makes things difficult and I have to do more hand holding than usual. But, I will get used to it and they will get used to me. If I didn't have sixth graders I would be happier. :)

This weekend Taylor and Angela Hayden came to visit us. They are a SEND couple that live in Sleetmute, AK. They are both pilots and have their own plane, so they flew over for two days. It was great to see them and have a diversion. They also brought us enough salmon to get us through the winter! On Sunday morning, the four of us flew over to Hooper Bay for church. The plane only holds two people, so we had to take to trips to get over there. I was the "cargo," which means I just made the cargo weight limit and I sat in the back without a seat. Thankfully the ride was only 15 minutes.

It was great to be able to go to church. The service was two hours long! We sang for about an hour. One of the elders prayed in Yu'pik. It was a good service. We had lunch with some of the other SEND missionaries that live there. It was nice to see them and they are doing some exciting things in Hooper. We are going to try to get a Bible study started here fairly soon.

It is continually an adjustment here. It is strange getting used to a simpler, quieter life. With no church, no places to go, and no family, there are many evenings and weekends at home. I am thankful for Ryan and for his company. Ryan and I are both applying for grad school to fill some of the time. :) I am sure things will pick up as we get to know people and take on responsibilities.

Thank you for your prayers and support! I'll try to post some more pictures soon. Until then, Ryan did put some on his facebook that you can check out.

4 comments:

Coe said...

I love what you added to your blog. Katy is enjoying Cal 2 with Matt and Jacob. Matt taught her how to roll her pen around her thumb!

Dean and Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

good call on getting your master's. That's a perfect idea!

Kara said...

What would you do without 6th graders ( : Gotta love 'em!